Who should attend
Individuals who work in the maritime industry, have a working knowledge of shipboard cathodic protection, or have extensive years of CP field experience with a technical background.
- Perform advanced field tests, including: current requirement test, shorted casing test, IR drop test, soil resistivity, and interference tests, and evaluate the results
- Perform tests to verify the presence of stray current interference and recommend method(s) to mitigate the interference
- Conduct and understand the importance of periodic surveys, including IR-Free readings, polarization decay tests, and current measurements
- Maintain documentation and records, including data plotting and analysis
- Describe AC voltage and the methods of mitigation
- Test and troubleshoot rectifier component parts
- Recognize the purpose and use of corrosion coupon test stations
- Recall the code requirements related to CP
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- NACE CP Tester Certification or equivalent training
- Comprehensive knowledge of electrochemistry, electricity, electrical laws and series and parallel circuits, meter operation, and CP fundamentals
- Basic Corrosion or Basic Corrosion eCourse
Successful completion of the course is required to earn a certificate of course completion. Requirements are specific to each course and may include a combination of attendance, daily assessments, activities, quizzes, or knowledge checks.
End of course exam
A practical exam is administered at the end of the course. Successful completion of the exam is required to earn a certificate of completion.
Visit NACE International Institute for individual certification requirements. Requirements are specific to each certification and may include a combination of exams, application, course completion, work experience and proof of educational achievements. All certification and renewal applicants will be required to complete the NACE International ethics training program OR an equivalent training and provide proof of completion as part of the certification application or renewal process.