The PCS 1 Basic Principles provides an introduction of coatings and linings used to control corrosion as well as the economic benefits of managing them. This course defines and examines common coatings used for corrosion control and addresses when, how and why they should be used.
NACE is recognized as an Authorized Provider of Continuing Education Units by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In order for a learner to “Successfully Complete” a NACE course and thereby receive a Certificate of Completion and CEUs, the following criteria must be met:
•Attend the entire course
•Successfully pass each learning assessment for the course with a score of 70% or higher
Learning assessments may include: a cumulative average quiz score, a practical exam, and/or a written exam.
For learners who do not meet the two criteria above, a retake of the course and the related learning assessments will be required, in order to receive a Certificate of Completion with CEUs and “Successfully Complete” the NACE course.
Disclaimer: This Certificate of Completion denotes successful completion of the NACE course, and should not be interpreted as the award of a NACE Institute Certification.
At the conclusion of the course you will be asked to complete a course evaluation.
See all upcoming classes...
Mail/Fax Registration Form (PDF)
- Planning, engineering and supervisory level personnel responsible for industrial coatings and linings who are new to the field or position
- Specifiers, maintenance and project engineers in all industries
- Marketing representatives of coatings materials or equipment
- Unit managers involved in corrosion
Note: Those students who hold a NACE CIP 1 certification or similar certification from SSPC or Frosio should plan on treating this course as a complete review of previously covered material
No prior training is required.
- Forms of corrosion, their mechanisms, and effects on safety, costs, appearance and maintenance programs
- Techniques of corrosion control and purposes of coatings and linings
- Types of coatings: how they are categorized, desirable characteristics, and their components
- Selecting coatings and coatings systems (single and multiple)
- Surface preparation safety, common techniques and equipment
- Common application techniques and equipment used for a variety of substrates
- Standards used relating to surface preparations and application
- Types of reports and developing a specification
- Common coating defects and failures
PCS Basic Principles Manual on CD ROM
PCS Basic Principles Manual
| ||Start Time||End Time
|Day 1||8:00 AM||5:00 PM
|Day 2||8:00 AM||5:00 PM
|Day 3||8:00 AM||5:00 PM